The Exploreum Science Center is pleased to announce that we are working towards a June 1st opening that will occur in three phases. These phases are based on feedback received from two public surveys we conducted in recent weeks, along with CDC and City guidelines. These phases are subject to change as we continue to monitor state and local recommendations. Summer Camps will kick off Monday, June 1 and General Public Admission will begin on Tuesday, June 2 – in limited capacity. See below for specifics.
Phase One: Planning for Social Distancing
For the past eight weeks, members of our core staff have been actively remodeling and reconfiguring our galleries and classrooms to allow for social distancing. Other measures that will be in place are as follows:
- Building capacity limits
- Capacity limits for each gallery and theater
- Social distancing markers at the box office
Phase Two: Planning for Health and Safety Measures
It is always our policy to encourage regular hand-washing, good hygiene, and awareness, which are the center of the CDC’s guidance. When we open in June, increased health and safety measures will be in place to continue to protect our visitors and staff:
- Daily temperature checks and masks for all Exploreum staff
- Plastic balls have been removed from the Wharf of Wonder
- Hand sanitizing stations available throughout the building
- Frequent exhibit and restroom disinfecting
Even though these measures will be in place, we encourage all of our guests to have their own personal hand sanitizer and/or face covering.
Phase Three: Reopening the Exploreum
As we open to the public, the following operational modifications will initially be in place. These are subject to change if health experts and civic leaders recommend that we do so.
- Open to the public Tuesday—Saturday with limited hours
- Tuesday—Friday 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Closed to the public Sunday and Monday (Monday open for summer camps only)
- Café closed to the public
- Limited gift shop hours
- Limited theater showings
Registration is open for the Exploreum’s summer camps. Camps will begin on June 1 with the following updated procedures and guidelines:
- Drop-off is between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
- All campers will be no-contact temperature scanned on arrival each day
- Campers will have exclusive access to all exhibit areas prior to opening to the general public
- Class sizes will be reduced
- Camp classes and restrooms will be isolated from the general public
- Daily lunch options will be available
- Flexible pick-up times, 3:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
We are grateful to the community, our members, and our guests for their continued support and patience during our unexpected closure. We look forward to reopening and welcoming you back to the Exploreum.